Yes, I have been absent from the forums for good reason. Many months of searching, reading and researching is nearly complete.
This is the text that will accompany my video entitled "Critical Foundations"
"Inspiration from WWII Aviation History"
The early 1940’s witnessed a massive construction program in the UK to build and maintain hundreds of airfields for WWII strategic defence. With the end of the war, the vast majority of these airfields were abandoned. They remain abandoned today. Organizations like the Airfield Research Group (ARG), founded in 1977, have been formed and developed to preserve the historical heritage and significance of these airfields. The Airfield Information Exchange (AiX) is the public forum of the ARG
/community/content.php
Inspired by airfield history and the "haunting" appearance of abandoned airfields, this video compiles a brief sampling of the empty airfields across the UK landscape. The images are blended with archival photos and video from the WWII period featuring the major aircraft that occupied these airfields.
In addition, I have attempted to re-create a small visual for this period of time in memory of the thousands of individuals responsible for WWII airfield construction and maintenance. My research indicated that photographic images of airfield construction during WWII are exceptionally rare. This video will perhaps preserve some of these rare images and memories for future generations.
I am at the stage of making minor adjustments re timing and sizing on the overlays etc. Please take a look if you can before the final rendering. Please report back with any obvious errors
The video is still password protected. The password is 4youreyes
See it here: www.vimeo.com/23461281
That is really quite interesting. This Yank greatly appreciates the efforts of all of you to preserve these airfields with your photography and videos.
Okay, thanks Paul!
Yes, I will add Scotland to the county images for the aerial airfield sites.
No problem adding ARG to the credits.
If it passes inspection on this forum, I'll know I have it right.
Thanks again!
@ KarlH Certainly appreciated! I enjoyed the hours - days - weeks I spent hunting down photos related to this topic. And so many photos were just not of sufficient quality for the video. I had no idea the construction side of things was so poorly documented. Dead end searches were the norm for airfield construction photos.
We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.