I don't know whether this has been discussed before on the forum but would it be possible, practical and or workable for each airfield site to have a named individual or individuals as a point of contact?
I appreciate that many contributors/members have an affiliation with a particular airfield or other relevant site and their knowledge is invaluable and informative but a few posts recently highlight the need for sensitivity and courtesy when wanting to legally explore/research these places. A contact would be able to give relevant information re: landowner and or whether the site is accessible etc. As said, it can be more than one person as each would have their own personal knowledge of their area.
Such a system would benefit returning veterans and their families to a particular site and thus possibly avoid any confrontation with a land owner when innocently exploring their old base. It may also have some benefit to the landowner knowing he has a contact and thus advise of problems (ie. illegal trespass/theft etc) and such information can be posted on the forum.
As said, is it practical and or workable? I would put my name forward for my local airfield (Raf Spilsby). I believe it's a way of promoting, preserving and protecting these places from those who sadly will - well I hope you know what I mean?
An interesting and potentially very valuable idea, would make the forum and ARG a point of contact. It would need someone to set it up and co-ordinate it though Mark, someone recently retired with time to spare, Mark!!
Thanks Noel and Warren for your feedback. I only posed the question to gauage a response if such an idea was workable/practical or whether such a 'database' already existed - formally/informally.
I didn't want to propose to the forum an idea if it was not practical or needed - 'If it ain't broke - leave it alone' so to speak and I fully appreciate that such a contact list would only be as good as thoses willing to contribute.
From my own experince, I am saddened to say that land/site owners are becoming more and more reluctant to allow exploration due to illegal trespass (Urban Exploration are the words their even using) and more worringly the buzz words - 'Health and Safety' worries.
Any further views positive or negative would be appreciated.
I am frequently contacted (via my webiste) by individuals and clubs requesting contact details for airfield owners.
In most cases it's car clubs and people looking to stage events - but there's a fair sprinkling of people wanting to see where their ancestors served. I don`t hold any such details so tell them as much and include a link to AiX.
My view is that such a register of owners would be an exteremly valuable resource and I have one suggestion as to how such a list could be mutually beneficial to ARG and The Owners.
Perhaps owners might be approached by Woody78 to prepare some sort of "access statement" which we could hold and publish.
Most of the land owners I know around Gloucestershire would NOT want their names on any sort of list.
What most are reluctant for is any Tom, Dick and Harry with a photocopy of a site plan taken of a web site, wellies and a compact camera turning up, poking around in the woods and either breaking stuff, taking souvenirs or falling down an open drain hole* and suing the land owner. To quote one chap "It's working farm not a bloody amusement park!".
If you catch them out on the airfield and they're in a good mood then yes, you'll probably get a favourable answer and they can show where you can and cannot go. But from personal experience, most want to be left alone.
If you do go ahead with this I would say that a) You need a written statement from said land owner(s) to say that it is OK to make this information public, b) when and by what means people may contact them for permission and c) explain that access is granted at the owners discretion.
*The morgue at Chedworth is notorious for "explorers" falling into open sewers since someone knicked all the manholes covers for scrap.
Most of the land owners I know around Gloucestershire would NOT want their names on any sort of list.
That was rather the point I was trying to make... The statement might simply be "Visitors Not Welcome At Any Time." or whatever their policy happens to be.
Equally there will be others who may allow groups by appointment or whatever etc etc - there are many sites and presumably many different policies.
Afraid I rather agree with 1 1/8th bit, it could be open to all sorts of problems and quite frankly ARG should stay well clear! The onus for such visits should be on the individual to seek out and gain permission for access. There are too many variables for this to work satisfactory on a public forum in a satisfactiory manner both, for landlords and explorers, and ARG / AiX is stuck in the middle.
You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!
I think the responses by OneEighthBit and norwichpaul are extremely valied and correct. Essentially, an airfield site as we know covers many acres and is usually owned by more than one person/comapany - so the logisitics of compiling a 'database' of owners would be almost impossible and was not really the main theme of my initial post - which was the practicality of compiling a list of Forum Members to act as site contacts. I do, however, understand the points raised by AIX Admin.
There is no question that the onus of responsibility lies with the individual wishing to explore a particular site and therefore if done legitimately by making enquiries at scene (as we all do) then this can only result in a positive response even if sometimes that response is in the negative. I agree, site/land owners from a legal perspective and in reference to Health & Safety responsibilities would shy away from any such form of contact list.
Effectively, the proposed 'database' is available now - the AIX Forum. It is noted that enquiries to the forum by people wanting information are met with helpful contributions and this is to the long term benefit of AIX and ARG. In summary, the contact list in a broad sense exists here on the Forum.
List airfield sites with the following information....Access -is it freely available with public access (such as many of the New Forest airfield sites , Bolt Head and Harrowbeer in Devon-just to think of some in my part of the country) or is it private land.
If it is private land is it ever open to public access -some sites are used for "events" occasionallly (eg: Upottery)- if so , when and what.
If it is private land are there any view points that are publically accessable without trespassing in any way.
However I agree that AiX getting involved in handing out contact details is not a good idea.
We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.