Strange airfield finds

06 Aug 2010 18:11 - 23 Feb 2018 13:07 #1 by Denis
Strange airfield finds was created by Denis
When walking old airfields, I like nothing better than to study the ploughsoil. All sorts of artifacts have been found just by keeping ones eye to the ground. But the strangest thing I have ever found is featured here in the attached image.

It was while reading the Little Walden thread that I remembered my eightball, found in the remains of a recreation hut on one of the dispersed domestic sites on the airfield. But this fellow was found at the side of a field near where to some hardstandings once were.

Was he a wartime resident? if not, how the heck did he end up where he did... miles from the nearest house or garden?
He now lives in our garden since I brought him here in 1988!

EDIT: Where is the image? Feb 2018

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2010 22:42 #2 by WiganMick59
Replied by WiganMick59 on topic Strange airfield finds
Nice one Denis......do you feed him on roasted toadstools and dandelion wine? I agree with you I always watch the ploughed field edges found endless .303 rounds and 7.62 mauser rounds this way.Plus shrapnel, SRD jars etc.. I live in hope of finding a complete Sterling in a barn somewhere!

........"Watch out for that ditch mick"...........OOps:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Aug 2010 18:51 #3 by canberra
Replied by canberra on topic Strange airfield finds
To the east of Warton is Clifton marsh and the USAAF dumped a lot of stuff in it. Occassionally some stuff has risen to the surface, including a Harley-Davaison and believe it or not a Colt 45!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Aug 2010 09:49 #4 by PETERTHEEATER
Replied by PETERTHEEATER on topic Strange airfield finds
They threw beer away?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Aug 2010 11:17 #5 by ianbache
Replied by ianbache on topic Strange airfield finds
At Leiston 10 yrs ago or more whilst rummaging around in a half collapsed hut i came accross a wooden crate nearly full of old coke bottles, and a over coat still on a peg
never thought to photogragh them or even take the bottles, there probaly now long gone ?

Llanbedr History not to be forgotten!!!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Aug 2010 12:17 #6 by canberra
Replied by canberra on topic Strange airfield finds
Very good Peter!!! Of course I refer to the automatic pistol, and IIRC that came to the surface in the mid seventies. So waht else is buried there, likewise what is buried at the likes of Burtonwood?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Aug 2010 11:06 #7 by cbrjock
Replied by cbrjock on topic Strange airfield finds
Its whats buried at Honington that interests me!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Aug 2010 08:21 #8 by PETERTHEEATER
Replied by PETERTHEEATER on topic Strange airfield finds

Very good Peter!!! Of course I refer to the automatic pistol, and IIRC that came to the surface in the mid seventies. So waht else is buried there, likewise what is buried at the likes of Burtonwood?


If you tasted it you would throw Colt 45 away too!

Yes, there is a lot of stuff out there awaiting discovery. At Nuthampsted in 1966 I dug up a cache of service 'Dubbin' (lanolin preservative for leather) in olive green tins in as new condition with a manufacturing date of around 1943. My colleagues and I used it for waterproofing 'trog boots' and it was better that the stuff made 20 years later.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  
EU Cookie Directive Module Information