WWII Airfield Construction Photos

21 Nov 2010 18:24 #1 by Doering
WWII Airfield Construction Photos was created by Doering
Hi,
I posted this in the intro section, but thought I'd also post here (as many miss the new members section).
I am always intrigued by the abandoned airfields of WWII, primarily in the UK. Those of the untouched partially remaining buildings are the most striking to me.
I recently made a video highlighting the aircrews of the Lancaster Bomber.

I would now like to make a short video highlighting the particularly unique abandoned airfields. While there are many pictures of these airfields, I have yet to come across pictures of the actual construction processes and the workers involved.

I am looking to give the video a different slant and the opportunity to present the airfields in a different perspective. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions you may have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Nov 2010 18:32 #2 by Denis
Replied by Denis on topic WWII Airfield Construction Photos
There are many images freely available on Footnote.com. If you do a search entitled 'airfield construction' you should be able to find the relevent material you need!
Welcome to the forum by the way:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Nov 2010 19:17 - 20 Dec 2016 11:55 #3 by daveg4otu
Replied by daveg4otu on topic WWII Airfield Construction Photos
Welcome to the forum - you'll enjoy it here.

There are some pictures of the preparation of the ALG at Christchurch - steel mesh runway laid by the USAAF 833EAB in 1943 - on my website ......

See my Hampshire,Dorset,Devon,IOW Airfields sites..
www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Nov 2010 14:46 #4 by Doering
Replied by Doering on topic WWII Airfield Construction Photos

There are many images freely available on Footnote.com. If you do a search entitled 'airfield construction' you should be able to find the relevent material you need!
Welcome to the forum by the way:)

Thanks Dennis!
That site tends to contain mainly documents heavily geared to US operations. Came up kinda dry for images.
I'll try different searches.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Nov 2010 14:48 - 20 Dec 2016 11:50 #5 by Doering
Replied by Doering on topic WWII Airfield Construction Photos

Welcome to the forum - you'll enjoy it here.

There are some pictures of the preparation of the ALG at Christchurch - steel mesh runway laid by the USAAF 833EAB in 1943 - on my website ......

Very cool! Some great shots of the metal mesh on the runways (that I was not aware of)
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Nov 2010 18:04 #6 by Denis
Replied by Denis on topic WWII Airfield Construction Photos

Came up kinda dry for images.
I'll try different searches.


The age old problem! The Americans filmed everything because they had access to film and cameras. The only images taken on British airfields seem to be few and far between, and then only by Official photographers.
I have the book published by the US 834th Engineer Aviation Battalion (Matching Green and A21 St Laurent sur Mer) It is stuffed with photos showing the construction of these airfields and the equipment used. I wonder if the British Civil engineering companys like WC French, Mc alpine who built many airfields for the RAF have/had an archive of such images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Nov 2010 18:16 #7 by Doering
Replied by Doering on topic WWII Airfield Construction Photos

The age old problem! The Americans filmed everything because they had access to film and cameras. The only images taken on British airfields seem to be few and far between, and then only by Official photographers.
I have the book published by the US 834th Engineer Aviation Battalion (Matching Green and A21 St Laurent sur Mer) It is stuffed with photos showing the construction of these airfields and the equipment used. I wonder if the British Civil engineering companys like WC French, Mc alpine who built many airfields for the RAF have/had an archive of such images.


Hi Denis,
Sorry for the extra "n" in your name above.
Do you have an ISBN for that book?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Nov 2010 18:53 #8 by Denis
Replied by Denis on topic WWII Airfield Construction Photos
No ISBN I'm afraid. It was printed immediately after WWII by the EAB itself. There is no information on the cover I have as my 'copy' is just that...a copy!.....think ...pirated :o

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Nov 2010 18:58 #9 by Doering
Replied by Doering on topic WWII Airfield Construction Photos

No ISBN I'm afraid. It was printed immediately after WWII by the EAB itself. There is no information on the cover I have as my 'copy' is just that...a copy!.....think ...pirated :o

Okay, thanks. My quest goes on. This is going to be a tough nut to crack .... as they say.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Nov 2010 19:04 #10 by P Bellamy
Replied by P Bellamy on topic WWII Airfield Construction Photos
A number of the unit histories published after WWII for various Engineer Aviation Regiments and Battalions are readable online:

www.ixengineercommand.com/biblio.php

All the best,
PB

Paul Bellamy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  
EU Cookie Directive Module Information