At one of the last air displays at Finningley they had a WWII Angle of Approach Indicator on display. (The guys on the RAF stand knew nothing about it). Let's hope it didn't finish up in a skip somewhere when the base closed.
I've spent the last 20+ years trying to find any Drem Mk.1 lighting fittings with no success whatsoever. (I suspect most of it was returned for melting down during WWII when the system was upgraded to Mk.ll.)
I intend all my 'hardware' acquisitions to finish up in a reputable museum some day.
Graham
Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite
I used to work for a farm very near to Saltby, the amount of "stuff" that had been liberated from the airfield was impressive. The grain drier was made from ventilation ducting. A some of the workshop equipment was of US origin, a compressor comes to mind. There was a gavlvanised water tank that had been mounted onto a four wheel chassis, the tank still had an inscirtin to the effect of deliver to the Sergents Mes RAF Saltby. This was just one farm, I suspect many others had induldged in the same degree of liberation.
Most of Sawbridgeworths runway lighting was mounted on /in concrete blocks as it was a mesh runway system. The majority of these have been bulldozed into the old moat. Over the years the ones the right way up were 'liberated', I suspect the others are still there albeit upside down, and therefore unless you had machinery to right them, there they remain!
could be worth going bck with a pick and shovel
in one corner of the quarry is an old limekiln,this was quite deep (like a well) and was full of some sort of sheets of metal and old metal containers, unfortunately I couldnt reach anything or identify the items because it was so dark.
Fancy setting up an expidition next time I'm back in your neck of the woods? I might go look at the Stoke Orchard tip again as well.
We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.