Does any one have any drawings or photos of other WW1 egs so that I can have a better idea of what they physically looked like - especially the deflection target range - I am trying to identify a possible feature at Yatesbury which may be the target range.
Surely there isn't range stuff that you don't know about
My start date is, at a stretch, 1925. New information seems to surface on a weekly basis but mainly to do with locations, very little on users and I am leaving WW1 for another day or year
No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (probably not Mark Twain)
Interesting images but, all I can say is, the second picture shows a tripod mounted Lewis gun on the right and, on the left is a mock-up of an aircraft front fuselage with a Vickers MG mounted. The former (Lewis) was the standard 'free' gun for aircraft and the latter the standard fixed forward firing gun (usually in pairs) fired by the pilot.
If you are interested in the armament (guns) of WW1 aircraft, I recommend:
'Early Aircraft Armament - The Aeroplane and the Gun up to 1918' by Harry Woodman ISBN 0-85368-990-3 - you should be able to order this up through your local library.
There may be some information on Deflection Target Ranges in Air Publication 1242 Armament Training Manual published by the Air Ministry (London April 1927) if you can track down a copy. This site might be able to help (I am not associated!)
And soon, they aim to make it downloadable which should give a slightly cheaper but much quicker option. Nice to have the printed page but having it in PDF on one's PC is useful provided you have a filing system which works!
'Our' archive will, I'm sure, have items which are unique.
Archives hold originals. Copies a great for frequent reference. The price seems steep, even the CD versions but when you build in travel costs and the inevitable printing of all or part of anything you copy yourself it isn't that bad. I have bookmarked a few for Xmas presents.
Could the archive not do the same? As PTE says our archive will hold items not held elsewhere.
No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (probably not Mark Twain)
We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.