VARIOUS WW2 AIRFIELDS - Bomb Store location - Help wanted

23 Aug 2008 07:48 #1 by PETERTHEEATER
I'm stuck on the exact location of the bomb store at the following airfields:

1. Hullavington

2. Fersfield

3. Tilstock

4. Hibaldstow

5. Long Marston

6. Moreton Valence

7. Pershore

8. Poulton

9. Silverstone

10. Turweston

11. High Ercall

12. Bitteswell

An NGR would be nice but pointers in the form of location in relation in relation to runway heads, compass direction or FlashEarth link will do.

Some of these airfields may never have had a bomb store but I would like to know.

Over to you posters.

Peter H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Aug 2008 08:10 #2 by REF
Fersfield is here;
www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.43097 ... =0&src="msl "

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Aug 2008 08:45 #3 by PETERTHEEATER
Thanks Richard,

that confirms the 'probable' location that I had marked. There is the remains of a Fuzing Point just south of your marker.

Peter H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Aug 2008 09:59 - 19 Dec 2016 19:55 #4 by REF
No problem Peter, I am only 5 miles from Fersfield and I have some photos - I have site plans now so I will be going back up there sometime soon, I'll try and get a shot of the fuzing point for you as well.

I have site plans for High Ercal as well so I can confirm the bomb stores location for you when I get home tonight.

Not sure about the others though

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Aug 2008 10:14 #5 by carnaby
High Ercall: no bomb store, just a group of six dispersed Nissen SAA stores just to the east of the southernmost 'L' sheds (extant). No trace whatsoever of this area which was also the Tech. Site.
maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
SJ605179
Silverstone: Site plan - south of peri-track between runways 03 and 07
maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
SP670409
Morton Vallance: Site plan - to the east of the M4 - remains of an incendiary / pyro store extant
maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
SO707090
Tilstock: I have a Drem lighting plan for the site which shows the airfield perimeter, which generally hugs the peri-track. There is a salient to the east of the peri-track joining runways 19 and 33.
maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
SJ570378, more likely 570382

Will have a look for the rest in a few days.

Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Aug 2008 05:44 - 19 Dec 2016 19:55 #6 by PETERTHEEATER

No problem Peter, I am only 5 miles from Fersfield and I have some photos - I have site plans now so I will be going back up there sometime soon, I'll try and get a shot of the fuzing point for you as well.

I have site plans for High Ercal as well so I can confirm the bomb stores location for you when I get home tonight.

Not sure about the others though


Thanks REF. The Fuzing Point remains consist, as far as I can see, of only the loop (by-pass) road. The building has been demolished.

Peter H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Aug 2008 05:58 #7 by PETERTHEEATER
Thanks Carnaby,

I had the Moreton Valence site marked including the extant Incendiary/Pyro Store but that raises another question.

Moreton Valence opened in 1939 and should have had a pre-war pattern bomb store to AM Drawing 3054/36.

This site appears to be a former munitions storage area with the remains of what is almost certainly an Incendiary Bomb and Pyrotechnic Store to AM Drawing 1003/37.

A part of a road system is extant but it cannot be confirmed that this was a pre-war layout. It may be the remains of a Type C to AM Drawing 5416/40 in which case the surviving building would be 18185/40 type B.

Any comments?

Peter H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Nov 2008 06:04 - 19 Dec 2016 16:25 #8 by PETERTHEEATER
In the centre of the image can be seen the remains of a loop road on which would have stood one of two or three Fuzing Point sheds. That appears to be the only visible remains all else has been obliterated by agricultural reclamation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Nov 2008 11:24 #9 by REF
PETERTHEEATER

You'll have to get an Audit of bombstores going for us in the audit section with types, locations etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Sep 2010 08:50 #10 by PETERTHEEATER
Thanks to Google Earth rollback to 1945 (ish) I have looked at PERSHORE and found a very nice early war layout directly south of the airfield. Absolutely nothing to be seen today and it was never upgraded.

REF, sorry, I missed your above Post #13; I have been putting together an 'audit' list of airfield related munitions and explosives stores by intended Function, Type and AM Drawing Number and will post it up soon for AiX to comment. Although I have just about every airfield bomb store plotted any list of bomb store types etc would run into hundreds and it will take me much longer to put together. That said, I need to do it for my own satisfaction so bear with me:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  
EU Cookie Directive Module Information