I wasn't sure whether to put this in the General Airfield or South West Airfield section. While visiting RAF St Mawgan a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the Station Sign by the Guardroom has been removed. It sounds like it has gone to a good home but it got me wondering about what happens to these signs when squadrons disband or airfields close down. It would be a shame if they were destroyed! I imagine there must be quite a few in the hands of enthusiasts and collectors up and down the country. I had a quick look through some of my old slides and found these. This may be a good place to put other airfield signs as well.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Outside 19 Squadron, RAF Chivenor, 1993; prior to moving to the brand new HQ next door.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
A rather tatty looking sign outside 42 Squadron HQ, 1991. The HQ was a collection of SECO huts. Briefing facilities were located in the much newer Ops building nearby.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
A Flt / 22 Squadron, RAF Chivenor 1992; Still flying Wessex at the time.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
899 Naval Air Squadron, RNAS Yeovilton, 2004. Hopefully now with the FAA musuem.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
750 Naval Air Squadron, RNAS Culdrose (the bear is not a permanent fixture!)
Mitro...: I think you have a good topic here for a thread. These signs are a normal but significant part of the ephemera which adorns an airfield, especially a military one, and it would be good to record them here.
As for what happens to them when a station/airfield closes, I suspect that many of them get destroyed. Some no doubt find their way into the hands of collectors. I think the station sign from the former RAF North Coates adornes the tea bar in the flying club which now operates there, so they do get saved. Similarly, the ornamental gates from North Coates now reside at the Lincolnshire Aviation heritage Centre, East Kirkby.
While visiting RAF St Mawgan a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the Station Sign by the Guardroom has been removed. It sounds like it has gone to a good home but it got me wondering about what happens to these signs....
See here Pete st-mawgan-newquay-t1229-60.html
Good idea for thread.
There used to be a lovely welcome to RAF St Mawgan sign on the front of the tower in its older magnolia days. Huge wooden board with lovely hand painted script with station crest (Chough on toast!).
About four years ago I rediscovered it in the undergrowth behind the sonobouy stores, still in fairly good nick!
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.