No. I know for a fact he was not at Lakenheath. I visited the the old airfield in 1971. Was between Brandon and Thetford. The old farmer my father befriended showed me the site and some of the old buildings. It was an estate used by the RAF. An old Bridish major owned. It seems his named was Sutton, though I may be wron
Paul, am so glad to be playing a small part in bringing your good self and Graham to a more meaningful and understanding relationship!
This just gets more intriguing, I recall a conversation between OC RAF Honington M/C Club and one of the lads, who said he was trailbiking through Thetford Forest when he came across what appeared to be disused airfield buildings. Wish I'd paid more attention now.
Although with these little bit of info:
Abstract of Title of Sir Richard Sutton to the manor and entire parish of Cranwich, save the glebe lands, and to lands at Northwold and Didlington, formerly of the Partridge family, 1781-1828.
1781-1828.
Methwold did cross my mind but it was not a USAAF base.
methinks more research is needed.
Hi Peter. I just learned that my grandfather was in the 754 chemical depot. I believe he served with your father because I have a picture of him standing in front of a building with Sgt. Dorr written on it. As far as I can tell the 754th was stationed at Barnham Little Heath site. But I'm still trying to confirm that.
Kirt This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My father when he was part of the US Air Cops in 1942-45 was stationed at an
> airfield just outside of Thetford. He knew a couple and be came fiends with
> durning his stay at the airfield. The was next Mr& Mrs Butters home.
> Their address was Church Cottage, Brandon, Thetford, Norfolk, UK. I
> visited there for a week in 1971 when I was in the US Army.
> Have you an idea where it might be located, its name, history and may be
> photos. It seems the field was owned by a Major Sutton. iT Seems to me it was just a few miles from Brandon in Norfolk.
> Thanks again for time and help
>
> Peter Dorr
> Westborough MA USA
> 508-366-9655
>
We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.