WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1

04 Jun 2009 21:06 #1911 by Peter Kirk
Replied by Peter Kirk on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Looks like Mullaghmore. If it is it was another that nearly had three runways as the third was started but turned into a peri-track.

No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (probably not Mark Twain)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jun 2009 21:32 #1912 by hugoj_air
Replied by hugoj_air on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Correct Peter. Mullaghmore it is. Man, you could have let it roll a while seeing that you have
nothing to post.

Hugo.

The historical listing of aviation sites in Ireland North and South www.avsitesireland.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jun 2009 21:55 #1913 by Peter Kirk
Replied by Peter Kirk on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
I did try to resist, honest!
I have struggled with the ground levle posts.

I will look for something tomorrow if nobody else posts before me.

No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (probably not Mark Twain)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jun 2009 22:11 - 13 Jul 2017 11:41 #1914 by Peter Kirk
Replied by Peter Kirk on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Stayed up past my bedtime to post this one!


No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (probably not Mark Twain)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jun 2009 22:46 #1915 by hugoj_air
Replied by hugoj_air on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Ok Peter, I believe you. Nice pic, looks like it's been retouched, but I dont think so.
Dont know where it is. To me it looks like 1945 or post war reconstruction.

Hugo.

The historical listing of aviation sites in Ireland North and South www.avsitesireland.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jun 2009 11:44 #1916 by Peter Kirk
Replied by Peter Kirk on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Hugo,

I thought you would have got this one!

No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (probably not Mark Twain)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jun 2009 12:52 #1917 by Stevo
Replied by Stevo on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
You must be Nutts not to get this one Hugo

:wink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jun 2009 14:47 #1918 by hugoj_air
Replied by hugoj_air on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Yea! Yea! I know :oops: :oops: :oops: My excuse is that it was LATE and my eyes were closing. Of course it's Nutts Corner. Was I right about the date or era. I dont have an opening date for this airfield.

Hugo.

The historical listing of aviation sites in Ireland North and South www.avsitesireland.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jun 2009 16:19 #1919 by mawganmad
Replied by mawganmad on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
What an odd image! I've seen airfield pictures similar to this (but not as obvious), are these images retouched to show all surfaces, or is that how glaring the concrete appeared?

Aparently the bright finish of concrete was a problem at one stage, and that it had to be toned down with a 'dirty wash'.

James Thomas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jun 2009 19:31 #1920 by Peter Kirk
Replied by Peter Kirk on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
The photo has no specific date but I would guess around Thursday 1951. I think the "bright" look may be resurfacing work for its use as Belfast Airport. The layout is mostly wartime in origin but I think a few bits, like the apron must be post war. Maybe the contrast is due to the use of orthochromatic film? It had that effect when I tried a roll of 16 many years ago.

No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (probably not Mark Twain)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  
EU Cookie Directive Module Information