I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this, BUT:
The Canberras/Valiants at Wittering (I was there for a couple of postings) had some problems in getting airborne at Max AUW. It was (so I was told) only because the main-wheels oleos were so good that they could do it.
They roared down the runway (going W) with all knobs turned fully clockwise. Just before the "hump" they pulled it into a flying stall. The a/c rose, and then fell back on to the runway just at the "hump". They were then 'bounced' (still, with all knobs turned fully clockwise) into the air.
Now, Drivers Airframe from that time may say this was not so, but I suspect there was more than a grain of truth in those suspicions.
HTH
Resmoroh
(Or "Polly Wolly Doodle" as I was known when I passed the Met Ob from the Met Office to ATC. V long time ago!!)
Meteorology is a Science. Good Meteorology is an Art
Some numbers for Filton (from ais aerodrome data and charts)
Thr Elev (09) 199' (27) 185'
Runway 27, upslope average 1% for the first 1400 m, downslope average 1.3% for last 700 m. Maximum local slopes 1.6%.
WTP shows the maximum gradient occurs from the eastern piano keys then 2,000 feet west. It goes from 47 to 64 metres, which, if we round that down to 50 feet difference, gives a slope of 2.5%.
If the piano keys constitute the 'ends' or the runway, then the LH ones are at 59 to 63 metres and RH ones at 47 metres, giving 198-207, and 155 feet.
Something amiss.
Graham
Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite
Could be wrong, but from memory I think threshold elevation refers to the beginning of the useable paved surface rather than the beginning of the touchdown zone. Irrelevant for purposes of this thread but it all gets a bit technical when these differ significantly from aerodrome elevation. For instrument approaches pressure altimeters would normally be set to RW QNH and actual height above the surface measured with a Radio Altimeter.
Interesting topic nonetheless... I don`t suppose anyone has T/O performance graphs for a Lancaster do they? I'd be fascinated to run some calculations to see how much runway they had to play with on warm evening, with a full load of fuel, light winds and an uphill slope...etc. I emailed the BBMF a few weeks ago when I started this thread but haven`t heard anything from them.
We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.