WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1

15 Jan 2009 20:16 #1191 by canberra
Replied by canberra on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
The aircraft looked to me like Sunderlands(yes the were in disruptive camouflage at one time) so I thought as it was only a corner it may have been a bit of a rd herring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2009 20:20 #1192 by Peter Kirk
Replied by Peter Kirk on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Not Watton,Warton nor Castle Archdale. Though I have to admit there is a photo of CA that resembles this one - sort of.
This is definitely an airfield, well a branch of it.

No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (probably not Mark Twain)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2009 20:22 #1193 by canberra
Replied by canberra on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Down Ampney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2009 20:37 #1194 by Peter Kirk
Replied by Peter Kirk on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Not Down Ampney

No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (probably not Mark Twain)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2009 21:11 #1195 by REF
Replied by REF on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Snetterton Heath / Eccles?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2009 21:13 #1196 by hugoj_air
Replied by hugoj_air on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1

The aircraft looked to me like Sunderlands(yes the were in disruptive camouflage at one time) so I thought as it was only a corner it may have been a bit of a rd herring.


And I thought the were Lancs or Halifax and yes they were in disruptive camouflage or some were.

Hugo.

The historical listing of aviation sites in Ireland North and South www.avsitesireland.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2009 21:30 #1197 by daveg4otu
Replied by daveg4otu on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Hard to tell for certain but looks very much to me that many of the aircraft have twin fins ...and also I'll stick my neck out and say I think they are there for scrapping/dismantling(look at the aircraft on it's own at top left)...but have no idea where.

Just to add - at least two seem to be engineless.

See my Hampshire,Dorset,Devon,IOW Airfields sites..
www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2009 22:18 #1198 by hugoj_air
Replied by hugoj_air on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1

Hard to tell for certain but looks very much to me that many of the aircraft have twin fins ...and also I'll stick my neck out and say I think they are there for scrapping/dismantling(look at the aircraft on it's own at top left)...but have no idea where.

Just to add - at least two seem to be engineless.


I would agree Dave. I'm certain they are Halifax aircraft. The trailing
edge is straight. I would also guess the photo was taken around
1946/47 at a time when a massive amount of military aircraft were
being disposed of.

Peter you mention you seen a similar photo of Castle Archdale. Do you
have a copy to show us by any chance.

Hugo.

The historical listing of aviation sites in Ireland North and South www.avsitesireland.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2009 22:35 #1199 by Peter Kirk
Replied by Peter Kirk on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Hugo,

I'll check to see if I can find the Castle Archdale photo but I'm thinking I might have the wrong place. A little clue, this airfield is not military and I think it is still open.

No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (probably not Mark Twain)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2009 22:49 #1200 by REF
Replied by REF on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Is it Hurn?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  
EU Cookie Directive Module Information