WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1

23 Nov 2008 23:28 #771 by kebecker
Replied by kebecker on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Must pay more attention to sir, C barrack blocks at UH;

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Nov 2008 23:33 #772 by Paul Francis
Replied by Paul Francis on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
No not Sealand

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Nov 2008 23:40 #773 by Stevo
Replied by Stevo on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
is it in England?, and is the airfield still used for flying?

At least throw in a clue ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Nov 2008 23:59 #774 by REF
Replied by REF on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Shawbury?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Nov 2008 00:35 #775 by hugoj_air
Replied by hugoj_air on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Gosport?

Hugo.

The historical listing of aviation sites in Ireland North and South www.avsitesireland.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Nov 2008 00:58 #776 by hugoj_air
Replied by hugoj_air on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Once again Stevo Thank You,

As is patently obvious by now, I know little or nothing about military airfields and thats why
I enjoy this thread so much because I'm learning all the time. Civil and Private locations are
my main interest.
While I do have some idea what a T1, T2 or even a Blister looks like, A's, C's and the the
many hangar types are/were a mystery to me until I started with "What Aerodrome Quiz".
Over the last few weeks I have picked up so much information in a very informal way, I can
hardly believe it myself. So Thanks guys, even if you didn't realise it yourselves, you'er all
great teachers. I'm waiting to hear what PNK and NP make of that statement!!
One other point, last Fri I among others, tried Richards patients with the Firefox/IE thing.
I must say he passsed with flying colours, great patients altogether.

Right we'er looking for A's and C's at the same airfield that was operational proir to the
11th Dec 1940. Thornaby?

Hugo.

The historical listing of aviation sites in Ireland North and South www.avsitesireland.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Nov 2008 01:11 #777 by Stevo
Replied by Stevo on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
I don't know what your thanking me for hugo, but thanks?

Just something else for you I think the C type in the photo has the early Gabled type roof, Like at Gosport (Fort Grange) and not the more common hipped type like at Lee on Solent (Gosport).

I've wasted 3 hours of my night searching Google Earth & Flashearth looking for this and I'm now giving up. ;) I'm going to continue to see airfields when I go to bed, LOL

We'll probably all kick ourselves when the answer is revealed

;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Nov 2008 06:56 #778 by Peter Kirk
Replied by Peter Kirk on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Hugo - I have to thank NP for my knowledge of hangars. If it hadn't bought his two books I would still be in the dark about most airfield buildings. Though I have to say apart from hangars and control towers I still am.
Still I'm stumped. The others I had in mind didn't have a 'C'. And yes, when the answer is known I will probably kick myself with my steel toe capped DM's. The "emarrased" icon is at the ready.

No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (probably not Mark Twain)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Nov 2008 07:52 #779 by Paul Francis
Replied by Paul Francis on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Actually AT LAST, Hugoj-Air is correct, it is in fact Gosport, so well done to him. What took you so long chaps, I was beginning to think we would have to go back to basics, but we have in fact achieved so much in these classes LoL! Stevo is correct about the early 'C' version.

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Nov 2008 09:20 #780 by Peter Kirk
Replied by Peter Kirk on topic WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Vol 1
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Ouch! (result of kicking myself)
:oops:

No Amount Of Evidence Will Ever Persuade An Idiot (probably not Mark Twain)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  
EU Cookie Directive Module Information