If you post a list of every airfield in the UK/Irl and expect to win, forget it, one airfield at a time please.
We have a saying here in Donegal: "The pot calling the kettle black". In other words doing/saying something, then telling others not to do it. But I do agree with you,
it takes away from some from some of the craic (Irish for fun) amazing what you can
learn on this list!!
By the time I've searched through my old AR's this will be long gone.
The historical listing of aviation sites in Ireland North and South www.avsitesireland.com
You must have seen this pic in Airfield Review some time ago
I was born about 800 yards from the Xch tower - maybe 200/300 yards west of the runway threshold- lived most of my childhood to the sound of Vamps/Venoms/Ambassadors - and later Sea Vixens - about 100 feet overhead.
I don't know - I left the Xch area in 63 when I got married - came back about 3 years laters ( c/w wife) by which time the field was officially closed(late 64)- worked at SRDE (immediately adjacent E end of RW ) from 66 till 73- still occasional movements (F/W till 1970 - thereafter odd AAC helos for mods by SRDE).... demolition /clearance had started by 1973 but never actually saw the going of the tower.
We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.