This MG too is pre-war. I bought it as a non-runner for 16 quid in the days when my in hand weekly pay was 7 pounds and 10 shillings. After getting it running and using it for hill climbing (the old version with passenger bouncing up and down on the back seat to get traction on the rear wheels) I relinquished it for a 1953 Vincent Black Shadow which I could afford only to run at the weekends.
No Canberra, not Limavady it's on the UK mainland. The runway with the approach lights runs approximately East/West.
Hugo - I am 7 hours ahead of Zulu time, GMT or whatever it's now called.
The geographical feature in the background is Edge Hill. The photo was taken in 1960 with car standing on one of the wartime runways. The approach lights are on the end of the rebuilt and lengthened E/W runway for V-Bomber operations. 232 OCU was resident at the time with Valiant/Victor aircraft. The overrun on that end of the runway is now the Gaydon Motor Heritage Museum.
I was stationed there on my first posting out of Halton and was just 20 at the time. Don't you just love that bullet helmet and goggles?
We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.