absolutely Duxford, I will give you a clue, the small bit of contrete held a flagstaff at one time (I am sure I remember it being there in the 80's....I could well be wrong)
1943-1945 Erected by AMerican Army Forces personnel to commerate two years of combet operations against Nazi Germany while stationed at Duxford from 8th April 1943 until the Victory in Europe 8th May 1945. They destroyed 333 German aircraft in aerial combat and 343 while strafing airfields. This plaque is offered as a tribute to the courage of those airmen and to the devotion to duty of the ground specialists whose work made these victories possible. 78th Fighter Group including Headquarters 82nd, 83rd and 84th Fighter Squadrons. 443rd Air Service Group including Headquarters and Base Services Squadron, 643rd Air Materiel Squadron and 819th Air Engineering Squadron.
The second stone plaque is commerating the visit by King George V and lists the 46 Squadrons reviewed during 1935, his Jubilee Year.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2016 16:10 by netcompsys. Reason: Fotopic web site gone away
We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to this. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.